Everyone knows where the Silicon Valley investors breakfast, lunch or otherwise imbibe: The Bar at the Rosewood Sand Hill in Menlo Park, Quadrus and, of course, Buck’s. But New York is a food town where supposedly you can eat out three meals a day, every day for ten years and never eat in the same place twice – and there are only just so many investors. Given this, be it food, drink or getting in on the next round, investors do tend to run in packs, where’s an entrepreneur to go?
Here is our list of the top spots where you’re likely to find them and, with any luck, potentially get funded, all for the price of a cup of coffee or a brew:
1. The Coffee Shop, Union Square. You’ll almost always find one investor or other there for breakfast. Arrive early. They do.
2. Friend of a Farmer. 77 Irving Place. Again, breakfast. Much more hit or miss, but the food’s good and hopefully, your timing will be as well.
3. Tarallucci e Vino, 15 East 18th Street. Come breakfast or lunch, they’re there. The food is good, the atmosphere is casual, there’s dining outside, weather permitting. But this isn’t Paris, so take a seat inside, keep your eyes peeled and get ready to seize your moment: we’ve witnessed investors claim their spot and take back to back meetings. Note to self: not everyone is punctual.
4. The Ace Hotel. 20 West 29th Street – as if you didn’t already know that. Everyone’s favorite co-working space away from home, or bona fide co-working space. Of course it’s crowded, every day, no matter what time you go. Still there is that chance… And because it’s always crowded.
5. The Nomad Hotel, 1170 Broadway and just around the corner from the Ace is where they are gravitating to now. Very different vibe to the Ace and the food is outstanding.