Armed with some publicly available data from our friends at CrunchBase, I broke down the 10 largest seed rounds of all time in NYC. I have included some additional information as well, such as year of funding, industry, investors in the round, and current status of the company, to further the analysis. In order to maintain a focus on conventional tech startups, pharmaceutical and biotech companies were removed from the data.
- 50% of the 10 largest seed rounds in NYC history place in 2013 and 2014 Tweet this
- First Round was involved in 3 of top 10 seed fundings in NYC history Tweet this
- The largest seed round in NYC history is in the enterprise space Tweet this
- The company that was funded first (2003) went public 4 years after funding.
- 1 of these companies was acquired. Two IPO’ed and one of these two was later acquired once public.
- All of the companies are still operational in some capacity, although one is on deathwatch. This company happened to raise the most amount of capital of any in the group.